Potato and Pea Samosa with Chutney Sauce
Updated: Wednesday, April 23 2014, 10:23 AM CDT
Made by: Chef Chip Kennedy, 5Flavors Catering & Exec. Chef at Cafe Brio
* 3 tbsp vegetable oil
* 60g/21/2oz chopped onion
* 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
* 60g/21/2oz frozen peas
* 1 tbsp ground coriander
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
* 1/2-3/4 tsp garam masala
* splash water
* 600g/1lb 5oz potatoes, peeled, boiled until soft and crushed into large lumps
* 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
* packet ready-made empanada dough
* teaspoon of lemon juice
* Chutney Sauce store bought
1. Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and fry the onion and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes over a high heat. Add the peas, stir well and add the spices, , salt and a splash of water. (If using lemon juice, add this instead of the water.) Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the potatoes and coriander and cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
3. Cut circle of pastry dough in a half circle
4. Fold into a cone and fill with potato filling and seal edge
5. Bake in the center of the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and crisp, turning halfway through the cooking time.
6. To serve, place the samosas onto a large serving plate with a bowlful of chutney.
This recipe aired April 1, 2014.