More In The Kitchen
Updated: Monday, January 13 2014, 04:31 PM CST
Yields: 1 dozen crepes
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 sweet onions, sliced thin
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
10 ounces spinach
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted
• Combine pumpkin, ricotta and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Cook onions over medium heat in a large sauté pan with butter for 15-20 minutes. Once onions are soft and turning brown, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. Cook another 5 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and sugar is dissolved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Cook crepes on stove top or crepe maker. Once crepes are cooked, spread 2 tablespoons of pumpkin-ricotta mixture on crepe and top with 1-2 tablespoons of caramelized onions and a handful of spinach. Fold crepe into thirds and let warm for about 1-2 minutes.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
• Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan
with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
• Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.
This recipe aired November 11, 2013.